Hearne Community Centre – Kent
The new state of the art community centre serving the residents of Hearne opened in June 2018. Eight Gothic-inspired glulam arches provide the structural framework of the building. Each arched pair rise up the two stories of the space and join the glulam ridge to provide a dynamic space for leisure, entertainment and relaxation.
A basic portal frame with a few added finishing and jointing details is at present very popular with a wide range of our clients. We have manufactured, delivered and installed a broad spectrum of public, private, civic and community buildings including places of worship. All adopting glulam portal frameworks finished internally with exposed curvilinear arches.
Perhaps it is because of the fact that we can manufacture complete frameworks off-site and supply all of the materials required for installation in a single delivery. This tried and tested approach reduces the risk of on-site damage and helps to inform sustainable construction timetables.
- Project: Community Centre
- Commission: Engineering design, manufacture and installation.
- Client: BEC Construction Ltd
- Architect: Judge Architects Ltd
- Engineer: AJ Locke Consulting
- Timber: External – Larch / Internal – Spruce
- Fixings: Bespoke steel joining plates.
- Finish: Water-based satin varnish.
- Cost (approx): £225 per square metre – for engineering design, manufacture and installation.