Job Vacancies at Buckland Timber
We are looking for a carpenter to join our small team at Buckland Timber.
We design, manufacture and install glulam frames, ranging from small extension structures or bespoke trusses to 25m+ span swimming pool or indoor riding arena structures. No two jobs are the same – we specialise in the more non standard end of glulam structures, including feature structures for airports and grand designs houses.
Initially this is a temporary approximately 3 month duration role, to suit a self employed carpenter, but is likely to develop into a full time role if the workload continues as currently.
We are looking for someone with the ability to work accurately to drawings, be able to deal with setting out of angles and radii and generally be able to hit the ground running as soon as possible.
Buckland Timber specialises in the design, manufacture and install of glulam structures, the majority of which are designed and manufactured in-house at our factory in Crediton, Devon.
We are a family owned business, established in 2013. To sustain recent growth and to make the most of the opportunities offered by the global shift towards more environmentally sustainable timber construction techniques, we are looking to employ an operations manager to help us accommodate an increased workload and to improve the forward planning of design, production and communication with customers.
The candidate should be educated to degree level and should have experience in a similar role. The candidate would report directly to the managing director.
- Overall responsibility for projects from point of order to delivery or installation, keeping customers informed of progress.
- Responsible for the overall direction of around 15 employees and additional subcontractors with the assistance of the production supervisor and technical manager.
- Develop processes / maintain adherence to processes.
- Chair weekly design meeting with technical manager and update schedules accordingly- prioritise design work to maintain balance of efficient production and the meeting of deadlines.
- Chair weekly meeting with the production supervisor and adjust work schedules accordingly.
- End of day progress review – individually with carpenters/ production team/ supervisor and set aims for the following day with the production supervisor.
- Schedule orders with suppliers where production is outsourced.
Installs and Logistics
- Oversee booking of appropriate vehicles for deliveries by sales administrator.
- Liaise with technical manager on method statements and requirements of the installation.
- Schedule installs with customers and line up subcontract installers to do the work.
- Book plant.
- Develop maintenance schedules with production supervisor and maintain adherence to these.
- With managing director, plan for pipeline of projects to ensure adequate staff to deliver what is required
- Monitor performance of workforce
- Monitor adherence to safe working procedures
- Order or oversee the ordering of glue/ timber/ glulam/ metalwork to achieve production deadlines, liaise with the accounts manager to enable cashflow forecasting.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
We are looking for extra workers to help manufacture glulam beams and structures at our factory in Crediton, Devon. The work is fairly physically demanding but quite varied and you would expect to work on different tasks throughout the day. We manufacture bespoke buildings so no two jobs are quite the same. We are looking for people who can be proactive in solving problems and looking ahead to carry out tasks with some degree of autonomy once trained in the work.
Ability to read drawings and do setting out and a forklift licence would be beneficial.
Work activities include:
- Clamping beams
- Removal and planning
- Potentially learn to grade and operate finger jointing line
- After training loading/ and unloading lorries with forklift
- Cutting beams to length and wrapping
- Setting clamps to drawings
- Sanding/ repairs on visual grade beams
- Keeping the factory clean and tidy
- Mixing glue/ cleaning glueing equipment
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent